Do-It-Yourself (DIY) weddings have become more popular in recent times because of couple’s decreased budgets. According to Khris Cochran, author of “the DIY Bride” an estimated 19% of brides hire a wedding planner. So for the other 81%, many aspects of the wedding are up to their individual creativity. Since more brides are doing-it-themselves, weddings have gotten more personalized. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
The three most popular DIY elements in a wedding are: ceremony programs, favors or escort cards. One bride had hand-folded, origami peace cranes with Swarovski Crystals which had the escort card tags hung from them, this also tied in her heritage. Making your own veil instead of buying one for $1,000 has become a huge money-saver. Brides can buy tulle fabric for $2.50 a yard and add beaded or lace trim. This way, the style is very unique to the bride.
Creative wedding favors are the most popular way to customize a wedding ceremony. A new idea is lottery tickets: scratch off tickets placed in an envelope that say, “We hit the jackpot, hope you do too!” Many couples are putting their monogram on lip balms, miniature candy jars, seed packets, miniature champagne bottles and even burnt CD’s.
Personalizing wedding activities make your reception one your guests will always remember. One bride we interviewed had a wine and beer tasting before her reception that consisted of: white wines paired with cheeses, red wines paired with chocolates, and beer paired with meatballs. Another clever idea is to have each table at your reception assigned a song, when the DJ plays that song the table has to get up and dance. One wedding featured a headband bar for women, and a cigar bar for the men.
Photo booths have been a very popular trend in favors and as an addition to the guestbook. But there are new ways to create a memorable guestbook. Have guests take photos in the groups they came in with a chalkboard so they can write a personal message. With the save the dates, include a page out of the guestbook so they can design an entire page which allows them to put a more personal touch to their signing instead of just a quick scribble. Black rocks or ceramic tiles can be signed by the guests and made into a breakfast tray or something of the like that can be used, rather than just looked at.
Personalization is the newest trend in weddings. Homemade elements representing the wedding party’s talents have shown up at receptions, homemade invitations, the groom singing a meaningful song. Kathryn Creech at Enjoy Events says there is a “very strong push of it being the bride and groom’s wedding, [it’s] not about impressing the mom and dad’s business affiliates anymore.”
Photo by Gregory Griffith